May-June Stevensville and US93 Construction
In May and June 2019, MDT has two Stevensville reconstruction projects scheduled. The projects include the following:
- Stevensville South:
- Corner curb cuts to meet ADA standards: MDT will reconstruct 23 corner curb cuts at intersections from Valley View to 1st Street (Eastside Highway) to comply with ADA regulations: Valley View, Barbara, South Ave., 6th Street, Central Ave., 5th Street, Ravalli, 4th Street, 3rd Street, Buck Street, and 1st Street/Eastside Highway. All work is scheduled to happen during the day, but will not impact business access, and only affect selected corners for short durations.
- Milling, paving, and chip sealing the Cut-Off Road and Main Street from the Stevensville bridge to milepost 8 approximately 2 miles south of town. Work will include the traffic lanes only—the diagonal parking spaces and sidewalks (other than ADA work above) will not be included. All milling and paving is scheduled to be completed at night, with travel lanes open during business hours except during chip sealing.
- US93 Stevensville North and South: milling, paving, and chip sealing of US93 from approximately 1-1.5 miles north of North Kootenai Creek Road to McColla Creek. This project will most likely begin after the Cut-Off Road/Main Street project is completed. Milling and paving work will happen at night to minimize impacts on US93 traffic and businesses. Chip sealing work will happen during the day.
- Bitterroot Overflow Bridge: new guardrail installation
NOTE: MDT has a third project this summer—Lost Trail Pass North, to reconstruct 8 miles from the top of the pass north. The same contractor is doing this project, which is expected to require 4-6 weeks, affecting US93 traffic crossing Lost Trail Pass.
Project Schedule (tentative)
May 23: Begin corner curb cuts/sidewalks
Mid-June: Begin Bitterroot Overflow Bridge Guardrail Installation (10-12 days)
Mid-July: Begin Cut-Off Road and Main Street reconstruction (milling 2 days, paving 2-3 days)
August: Begin chip sealing (Cut-Off Road and Main Street 2-4 days, US 93 2-4 days)
Sidewalks downtown will be impacted only on corners where crews are working.
Parking and access downtown will be impacted in sections during milling, paving, and chip-sealing.
Consumer and commuter traffic will be impacted by traffic control (flaggers), with short delays at times.
Mitigation of Impacts
- General Contractor is Schellinger Construction from Columbia Falls. They are in contact with the Town of Stevensville Public Works Department Director and Stevensville Main Street Association as project dates are firmed up.
- Stevensville Events: The 50-Mile Yard Sale on June 28-29, Western Heritage Day on June 29, and the Saturday Farmers Markets are the primary events impacted. Construction will shut down on June 27, and resume on July 1, to avoid disruption of the Yard Sale and Western Heritage Day. Crews are not expected to work on Saturdays and Sundays unless the project is significantly delayed due to weather.
- Traffic Control will be provided by a subcontractor from Missoula.
- Sidewalk (concrete) work will be provided by a subcontractor from Missoula.
- Public Relations (PR) will be provided by Strategies360 from Helena and Missoula (staff contact is Melissa Shannon, email@example.com or 406-422-2922). They will provide ongoing project updates about project dates, anticipated impacts, delays, etc. via news releases, Facebook, project web site, etc.
- Town of Stevensville also will provide project updates, and answer questions related to project logistics, and work with MDT and/or the contractor to address concerns.
- Stevensville Main Street Association will use its eNews, Facebook posts, and other means to help keep businesses and consumers informed about project dates, anticipated impacts, delays, etc.